VEGAN DESSERT RECIPES AT THE WORKING BOAT
If you’re looking for vegan dessert recipes that don’t compromise on flavour, our Executive Chef has just the dish. A delicious sweet treat whether you’re vegan or not, Nick Hodges shares his moreish vegan sea salt caramel meringue recipe.
For the meringue
- 180ml aqua fibre – (this is the liquid drained from tinned chick peas, there should be enough from a 400g tin)
- 150g caster sugar
- 90g icing sugar
- ½ tsp cream tartare
For the toffee sauce
- 1 can coconut milk
- 150g soft light brown sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla essence
- Pinch sea salt
For the meringue
- Drain the chickpeas and pour liquid into a pan. Add the caster sugar and bring to the boil on the stove.
- Cool and add to a mixing bowl. Whisk with an electric mixer until it starts to resemble traditional meringue.
- Add sieved icing sugar, start slowly to allow the fine sugar to blend (or else you’ll look like a snowman!)
- When the meringue reaches a stiff peak, add the cream of tartare, allow to blend in and stop.
Baking the meringue
- Spread the meringue thinly on a flat baking sheet. Use a non stick paper or baking mat to allow release once it’s cooked.
- Cook on a low heat, 120 degrees, for 3 -4 hours. The meringue should be crisp and crunchy. If needed, give more time – a lot will depend on your oven.
- If you’re confident enough, leaving in your oven overnight on 100 degrees is great.
- When cooked snap into shards ready for plating. The meringue can be stored for some time in a sealed container.
For the vegan toffee sauce
- Place all the ingredients in a pan and bring to the boil.
- Simmer for desired time (the longer you simmer the darker your caramel will be.) This really is personal choice, I prefer a lighter caramel!
- Mix your homemade meringue with the freshest selection of summer berries and a scoop of vegan ice-cream. I love coconut ice cream but vanilla works great too.
SAMPLE SOME OF NICK’S CULINARY CREATIONS AT THE WORKING BOAT
We’ve got lots more hearty dishes including vegan-friendly food at The Working Boat. Check out our full menu here.
Give us a call on 01326 314283 to book a table.